Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My old lab mix has one pupil bigger than the other and a lot

Customer Question

My old lab mix has one pupil bigger than the other and a lot of the white of his eye showing, which is blood shot! I have an apt with the vet in the a.m. I read about glaucoma and says they can hair pain of migraine severity. Is this true and can I give him Tramadol?? To ease him until tomorrow? He is 55lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Lab mix canine. 55lbs about 10 years old.
JA: OK. What is the canine's name?
Customer: Butters
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Butters?
Customer: He has lots of lumps that we assume is cancer and do not want to remove due to the fact that anytime he gets scraped or injured he gets more lumps so we figure he is still happy{until today}
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Butters' situation. I'm going to be honest here and say that glaucoma is a visually threatening situation for the eye that is involved. When an eye has a pupil that is enlarged, the sclera (the white) is reddened, and most likely the cornea (the front of the eye) is cloudy - then glaucoma is extremely suspect. Sometimes a red eye with a small pupil can be due to irritation in that eye or due to a scratch on it. With eyes, I don't like to take chances. If there is glaucoma in that eye, it needs to be seen now by your vet or an ER clinic as the longer the pressures are up in the eye, the more of a chance that the eye could become permanently blind. If there is a scratch on the eye (or an ulcer), it could get worse too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ugh... I specifically asked if he could wait until tomorrow and the "young girl" on the phone said yes. I read that it could get bad with in hours. So can I give him Tramadol for pain? I am an hour away from coldest vet beside our local mobile vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Closest vet - not coldest
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Who was the 'young girl' on the phone? Tramadol is used for pain, but in a situation with glaucoma it wouldn't be addressing the actual problem. The problem is increased blood pressure in the eye with glaucoma and this isn't relieved by tramadol. If glaucoma is going on, then it is going to potentially cause blindness in the eye. Any chance of posting a picture of the eye?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry delayed internet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant tramadol for pain. I read it is headache like with migraine severity
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Is it the left eye that is affected? From the picture, it looks like the left eye has the third eyelid up and it is squinting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get a good picture because if I tilt his head he closes his eyes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is best I can get
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are going to vet but we don't have an ER or eye specialist anywhere. We are very rural.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still having a conversation about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see you are off line now so I guess we are done and I still don't know if I could have given him tramadol or how much for the pain (now hours later) to hold him over until we get to the vet :(
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry on my end as I had an emergency come up. That last photo shows the third eyelid being up. When I'm seeing glaucoma at my ER clinics, it typically doesn't have the third eyelid up in those cases. The third eyelid comes up a lot of times with irritation on the surface of the eye. The more serious causes are ocular foreign material or corneal ulcers. Could this be something less like some general ocular irritant or infection? That would be the best case scenario. Is he acting any better at this time?