Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13 yr old male chihauhau has flesh colored bumps and he

Customer Question
is chewing at one near...
My 13 yr old male chihauhau has flesh colored bumps and he is chewing at one near his leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: "Mr. Westley"
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Quoter?
Customer: What is quoit we?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Mr. Westley. Would you be able to upload a picture of his leg?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately no. But it is a small round bump with no hair and is flesh colored.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u still there?

Ok, no problem. Is he taking any medications? Flea medicine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only Heartgard

Ok, does it look red?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Is he licking the area?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
knowing it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Knawing

Ok, thank you for the additional. It is hard to say what this may be, as older dogs can get many lumps.

If he has many of these lumps, some are benign growths that can get irritated over time. Other lumps look red and irritated because they ulcerate and get inflamed spontaeously. Certain growths, such as mast cell tumors, can do this. It would be prudent to get Mr. Westley examined by your vet so that a diagnosis can be made. Your vet would be able to tell you if it is a cancerous vs benign growth.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I apply an Orc anti itch cream?

I tend to avoid creams on dogs, as they usually will just lick off the cream before it can be helpful. There are some topical sprays and powders that your vet my stock which could be a better formulation. Another helpful tool is an elizabethan collar, or e-collar, or cone of shame...this block the licking temporarily which can be very helpful to break the habit. Most dogs do not like wearing these collars, but they are very helpful temporarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you I think we are done.

You're welcome. Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie Volat
Katie Volat
Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian