Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have two 10 week puppies a little less than 5 pounds each

Customer Question
and I found them eating...
I have two 10 week puppies a little less than 5 pounds each and I found them eating a teacup candle (very small candle with slight scent). What should I do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

How long ago did they eat this?

How are they just now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ate kit about 30 min to 45 min ago. I put them in their crate so I could get them away from the cap and,e pieces so I could clean it up. They are asleep in the crate but awKen when I go over to the crYe
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you recommend I do?

Thank you for your patience,

Now generally speaking, with how small these are and split between 2 dogs, we'd not be overly worried as long as they didn't eat any metal pieces or packaging on the candle. If anything, we could see some gut upset from this and diarrhea (as the wax could cause self-limiting loose stools). So, while we could induce vomiting at this point, its not absolutely necessary. And instead, we could use supportive care as we monitor for the next 48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep their stomachs settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee ones have any known health issues or are on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this isn't a very worrisome situation and therefore we could use the above for these 2 to offset GI upset while keeping an eye. Of course, if any packaging was eaten or metal on the candle wick, then we'd want to have them seen.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian