Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

8 year old healthy lab swam in a pond on a golf course last

Customer Question

8 year old healthy lab swam in a pond on a golf course last night. Ate but was listless today. Had a few episodes of diarrhea during the afternoon and now is vomiting phlem, small amounts with clear drooling.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, he is not terribly listless, just subdued. We are offering a lot of water.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to ask a few additional questions to better help you.

1. When he ate earlier today, did he vomit any of that food up?

2. Any blood in the diarrhea?

Thank you, ***** ***** forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blood in diarrhea and no food in vomit. He goes to day care. I am wondering about kennel cough and diarrhea from the swim.

For overnight, I would recommend withholding food (not water, but do not force him). Let his intestinal tract rest overnight. If coughing develops, he will need to see a veterinarian to be prescribed antibiotic for kennel cough. If 12-24 hours of stomach rest does not resolve the vomiting/diarrhea, he will need to be seen. I suspect he licked or ingested something that has caused a minor stomach upset that should pass.

I hope this answers your questions, if so, please kindly rate me. If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you!

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Christi Belew