Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He has deteriorating disks. I believe the one that was hanging

Customer Question

He has deteriorating disks. I believe the one that was hanging on by a thread has broken off and is under the skin at his rib.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brewster he is 10 years old a boxer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brewster?
Customer: I have given him his pain meds for today but he seems in a lot more pain than usual. Obviously.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Intervertebral disks can't escape the spinal canal. You're seeing something else under the skin at his rib. A prolapsing disk can rupture and its contents compress the spinal cord, however, and that would certainly exacerbate Brewster's pain. What have you adminsitered to him so far today?