Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We had a party yesterday and we think our boxer must have

Customer Question
eaten cake / candy floss...
We had a party yesterday and we think our boxer must have eaten cake / candy floss - she was fine yesterday but is not well at all this morning - she won't eat or drink and has no energy - please help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Happy is her name and she is only 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Name?
Customer: Ni
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting or diarrhea?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Vomitting or diarrhoea- just very lathargic and no energy also not eating or drinking - red eyes also
She is approx 15kg

Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately we do not have a thermometer

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. Could this be related to over eating cake? Yes. But, there are many other possible causes that need to be ruled out like: Anemia, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause Happy will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work and xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Until she is seen by a veterinarian I would try to get a thermometer in your local pharmacy (chemist) to check her rectal temperature. The normal temperature should be between 99.5-102.5 F. In addition, force feed her small amounts of a bland diet like rice with boiled chicken or ground beef. If possible blend the food and force feed her with a dropper or a turkey baster. Follow up with a veterinarian as soon as you can.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian