Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My mini dachshunds face appears bumpy and she is

Customer Question
my mini dachshunds face...
my mini dachshunds face appears bumpy and she is hyperactive
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Cali 6.5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cali?
Customer: she it itching a lot - we just came back from the cottage today she is not fixed
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the lumps on the face come on quickly?

2- Do the bumps look like welts?

3- How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. not quickly no
2. no they are small
3. around 8 lbsI'v given her a tiny bit of liquid benidryl

1- Can you describe the appearance of the bumps?

2- How much benadryl did you give her?

3- How many milligrams of diphenhydramine per mls (see label)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the bumps are just small and raised in no real pattern
2.5 ml
6.25mg for every 5 ml

1- Are the bumps below or above the skin?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
below

How long has she had the bumps?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
20 mins

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, what you are describing is likely related to an allergic reaction. You did right in starting her on Benadryl. The dose for her is 8mg every 12 hours. You need to increase the liquid to 6.5 mls every 12 hours. So, if you gave her 2.5 mls she needs an additional 4 mls. Keep her on the benadryl for the next 3-5 days. If at any point you notice difficulty breathing have her checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian