Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had done the reverse sneezing 4 times in the last 20

Customer Question
mins. What should I do...
My dog had done the reverse sneezing 4 times in the last 20 mins. What should I do. I have tried massaging his throat and blow into his nose. He does stop. He is just panting now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cooper and 5 years teddy bear breed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?
Customer: He was fine all day. He would do the a couple times a week but never this much and it lasts longer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Cooper. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few possible causes for Coopers ongoing reverse sneezing tonight. This reverse sneezing can be caused by a range of things including excitement, foreign bodies caught in the throat, allergies, upper respiratory infections and reactions to mites, household chemicals and even perfumes. You are going to need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this keeps recurring and he is panting non stop, then you will need to get him down to your local ER vet so they can examine him and check his throat. For now, you may want to try him with a little Benadryl - the typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl . Also encourage him to have a good drink of water and offer him some of his regular food.

In case his symptoms worsen, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your boy and hopefully this reverse sneezing stops in the next hour or two. I would recommend a full follow up with your regular vet early next week to investigate this further as it sounds like this has been a bit of an ongoing issue for Cooper. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian