Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 4 year old female lab stole a small pork back rib and

Customer Question
may have swallowed a small...
our 4 year old female lab stole a small pork back rib and may have swallowed a small piece less than a half inch - will it dissolve in her stomach? this was about 20 minutes ago and so far so signs of distress
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Lab girl who stole a small piece of back rib. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. While this is always a worry as these bones can easily lodge in the gastrointestinal tract and cause a partial or complete gastrointestinal obstruction, luckily your girl is a relatively big breed, and the rib bone was only relatively small (compared to what it could have been). The bone won't dissolve in her GI tract, however it is small enough to pass through without an issue if it was only half an inch long. In case there were any sharp pieces on that bone, do give her a couple of slices of white bread now, as these may be able to wrap around the bone and help it pass through without causing any damage to the inside of her intestines. You can feed her as per normal from the morning, but do keep an eye out for any signs of an obstruction over the next couple of days (even though it is unlikely). This could include lethargy, going off food, vomiting, diarrhea or even constipation.

For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid if she seems nauseous. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

I hope this gives you some peace of mind! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian