Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We just got a 9 month Labrador hasn't been excersied much.

Customer Question
We took him to vet...
We just got a 9 month Labrador hasn't been excersied much. We took him to vet for physical, shots, intestinal worm and heart worm check. Everything was good. I have been noticing when we take him for walks his front legs will tremble slightly as if he is tired or nervous, as we keep on waking and excersing him the tremble goes away. Would this be a reason to worry?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now since this is just being seen in the forelegs, we'd not assume nerves were an issue here since the whole body would usually tremor. Instead, if this is consistent, we do need to tread with care. At his age, we could see this if he had had a strain/sprain from over activity but the warming with exercise does make me concerned about underlying orthopaedic issues, especially elbow dysplasia. And I would note that unless his vet was doing an orthopaedic examination specifically, they may miss subtle signs of these birth based abnormalities. Therefore, if you see this continue for longer then a week or so (so we can give strains time to settle), we may need his vet to double check or even xray his forelegs to make sure there is nothing present that could cause bother as he ages and starts to put more weight on his joints.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well the tremble is very subtle and more as if
He is getting ready to jump. Sometimes it will be only one leg and sometimes both front legs. Only when going on walks because when playing and running around he doesn't do this.

Hi again,

I am glad it is subtle but if its intermittent and shifting, then this again hints at a low grade orthopaedic issue (or to a lesser extent a myopathy or neuropathy) being present here. So, even more so it could be missed on a general exam since Blue sounds to otherwise be coping with it. So, we need to tread with care because we can see these things progress and start to cause bother if not appreciated early on.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this life threatening to him?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Orthopedic as in a sprain?

Hi again,

No, I wouldn't be worried of life threatening issues, just ones that could affect mobility and his comfort when moving. As well, orthopaedic issues are bone related like elbow dysplasia. I would be less suspicious of strains at this point since you noted the shifting and intermittent nature of his tremor.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I drove him to the vet this morn( it was closed) but as I was driving I noticed his front leg whichever he was not putting pressure on was shaking uncontrollably but it would shake all up to his body. We came back home and it stopped. Isn't that nerves?

Hi again,

If it was only in the car that you saw that, I'd be more inclined to consider that to be related to stress/"nerves" but his other signs don't have that same stressor type trigger as vet trip would. So, we cannot put much weight on this episode but the others do still raise my suspicions for him.

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He just seems to do that shaking trembling episode when we start his walks or when dogs bark at him during the walk. He is new to our house and neighborhood. We just got him Monday. That's what I'm wondering if it is stress. When playing w the kids and running in the yard he doesn't do that

Thank you for that further information.

If that is the case, then it could play a role if you think the shaking matched what he did in the car today. Though again shifting intermittent signs rarely are stress related since stress tends to affect the whole body equally.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's just whatever front leg he is not putting weight on will be the one to shake. I don't know how to describe it. Let's say he has one paw lifted while sniffing... That one will shake or tremble. As he gets comfortable with where we are he stops shaking. I'll be taking him in to get checked either way but 4th of july weekend has everything closed. Just worried about him

I can understand your concern, though thankfully this isn't an urgent issue. We just need to keep him calm and rested until he is seen after the holiday. As well, since your description of what he is doing is quite odd, I'd suggest videoing this for his vet to see. I am not convinced it is stress alone if shakes whenever lifted and that way his vet can see exactly what you are and will be on the same page for getting to the root of this.

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you. Sorry for being such a bother. We just want to have him around for many years to come. That's why I am asking.

You are very welcome,

No worries at all, its never a bad thing to be concerned and want to do the best one can for a pet. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last question. Would this be an issue that would cause us to loose him if not stress related?

Hi again,

No, it isn't one. We just want to make sure he is comfortable and we are addressing anything underlying now so he has nice strong joints and is mobile in his older years.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian