Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I sold a Yorkie puppy at 8 weeks old. He was doing fine but

Customer Question

I sold a Yorkie puppy at 8 weeks old. He was doing fine but stopped eating . Then he had diarrhea. He ended up having hypoglycemia. She said the vet said he had kidney problems and it was nothing they could do. Did the hypoglycemia cause kidney failure or the other way around? Did the shots do it? He was fine when he left here, eating and all. Spunky and playing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind. How did your vet determine he had kidney problems did they do bloodwork?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure exactly but I assume they did. He was taken to the emergency vet cause he would not eat after 2 days. He levels were at 17 and the finally got it to 21. They said he had hypoglycemia. Then after awhile they said he had kidney problems and it was nothing they could do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was 1.7 lbs. eating good and playing. He also still suckled on mom. The vet said he looked good and was eating well. When he left mom, he stopped eating and would just mope around. On day 2 he had diarrhea, and he was taken to the emergency vet.

I am sorry to hear about that. Thanks for the additional information. What was he eating? I would initially suspect him being a Yorkie that when he stopped eating for what ever the reason was it lead to his hypoglycemia. It is possible if he was born with a kidney disease that it could have lead to the diarrhea and decreased appetite. But it is not unlikely the hypoglycemia caused the kidney disease. .

Since kidney disease is rare in young puppies. I would also be concerned if he could have consumed something toxic that affected the kidneys or contracted an illness that affected the kidneys as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was eating Wellness puppy

Did you note any blood in the diarrhea? Do you know if he was dewormed before you got him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was deformed and had first shots. No blood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry dewormed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet said he wa in good health and spirits.

Was there any possibility that he could have been exposed to any toxins? If that isn't the case then I would suspect a condition that he may have been born with. Was he put to sleep by your veterinarian since they said there was nothing that they can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he died and they said that they couldn't save him. He was fine from birth through Sunday at 8 weeks. He left mom on Sunday. Monday he did not eat, Tuesday he did not eat. Wednesday he had diarrhea. Went to ER, they said he had hypoglycemia . They tried to get his levels up. They said he had a kidney problems. Later he died that night

Okay sorry to hear about that. Did they offer an autopsy? That might have given more insight on the direct cause of his death and especially confirm if it was something he was born with.