Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

I found a 1-2 inch patch of hair on my dog that is no longer

Customer Question

I found a 1-2 inch patch of hair on my dog that is no longer curly (poodle like), and instead is now darker (black instead of gray) and course like a beagle's hair. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. KV. Has your dog recently been shaved in this area or vaccinated recently? These are two possibilties where I have seen this unusual hair color and texture change.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am the only one who grooms her. I last groomed (with clippers) about 3 weeks ago. She had some vaccinations last week, but I don't believe they were in that area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just noticed this patch today. It doesn't seem too flaky. Took flea brush to it and noticed a little dandruff. It doesn't smell or seem to bother her. She is a rescue, but we've always believed her to have poodle given her wavy/curly hair that doesn't shed . We googled and got concerned about sebaceous adentitis. But wanted to see if there was a more likely (and less rare) explanation

If the patch is new, I would ask your vet where the vaccinations were administered. This has been the most common reason for this change, in my years of experience. If it does not line up with where the vaccinations were administered, then you are right...it would only be at the local site of injection.

Can you upload a picture by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did they come through? It looks a little more prominent as we pulled the hair back and outlined the area of concern with a sharpie

Yes, good pictures...give me just a moment to take a closer look...

This is interesting...I have seen coat color changes such as this in young dogs under 5 years of age, so it could very likely be a pigment change with no actual disease process or skin disorder. Some dogs continue to have skin and coat changes, especially if you see blotchy dark pigment in the mouth and inside the ear flaps.

Almost all the dogs that I have seen with these unusual changes have been doodles (poodle mixes).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I'm hoping that or the vaccines are the culprit. She get vaccinated twice a year (and this year had an extra one in April). I'll call and see if they keep records on site of injection. Thanks

You're welcome. If this is the site of a vaccine, it usually is not a concern, nor does it progress.

Very cute pooch!

Please feel free to reach out if I can offer further assistance.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thanks!