Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I'm watching a friend's 13 yo dog while they're on vacation.

Customer Question

I'm watching a friend's 13 yo dog while they're on vacation. i have another dog, too. We went to the park and the dog ate some grass while there. On the walk home, the dog threw up 3x.. bile mixed with grass. Once home, the dogs laid down to sleep. The dog I'm watching now can't stand up, is drooling, and panting. When she does try standing up, her body shakes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I?
Customer: Don't think so, just those symptoms.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Besides the grass did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. No pre-existing medical conditions.
2. Just ate grass and a piece of popcorn that fell on the floor last night. Aside from that, solely dog food.
3. Gums are pink, however, brownish near the teeth.She was blinking her eyes rapidly earlier, maybe anxious because she couldn't stand up? She is now resting on the dog bed with her head resting; panting and drooling have subsided for now.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Does she have head tilt?

2- Is she trying to get up?

3- Did you try to get her up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. She has her head on the dog bed.
2. Tried 4-5 times to get up. 2x she tried walking and seemed like her back legs were giving out which made her anxious. The other times she just stood up on he dog bed and body was shaking.
3. I haven't tried getting her up since she seems to be having trouble.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when we see quick onset of unwilling or the inability to get up in a dog this could be caused by many different medical conditions. In general we can classify this either a neuromuscular problem (a bulging disc, vestibular disease, thromboembolic, etc.) or secondary to a systemic disease like an abdominal tumor, heart disease, toxicity, etc. to name a few causes. The vomiting is secondary to what is causing her the inability to stand. The shaking could be a sign of pain or weakness.

On history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. It is important to rule out things like abdominal tumors, thromboembolic, etc. which can have a fatal outcome if not treated promptly. I realized this is your friend's dog, I would give him/her a call immediately to make them aware of the situation. In the meantime for the vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination as soon as you can.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.