Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Has Epilepsy controlled under medication. But has possible

Customer Question
lymphoma as the vet physically...
Has Epilepsy controlled under medication. But has possible lymphoma as the vet physically examined the dogs neck. I'm worried about costs and the stress future treatment may cause my lovely 7 year old Rottweiler collie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the collie?
Customer: Is taking Metacam oral suspension and Maxitrol Eye drops for a serious eye infection. The dog has developed a lot of fatigue in the past few weeks and not sure if its due to medication or the possible lymphoma
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, while we can see Metacam cause a bit of sedation in sensitive dogs first starting the medication; if he has been fatigued for weeks then it is more likely related to the ongoing infection or suspect lymphoma.

Now that said, if your dog has severe eye issues and only the lymph nodes in the neck are raised, we need to be aware that their enlargement may be secondary to the immune system fighting the infection in the eye (especially since the lymph nodes are the headquarters for lymphocytes of the immune system). Therefore, we'd want to make sure that the other nodes are normal (which hopefully your vet has already done). Further to that we'd want to think about sampling the enlarged nodes (ie aspirating or biopsying them). This would give us an answer to which is present and whether we do have to be worried about cancer. If the nodes are just reactive, managing the infection should reduce their size as well. Though if the sample is analysed by the lab and found to be cancerous, then you would need to consider if you would want him to undergo chemotherapy (which can be costly but also beneficial in lymphoma cases) or you could discuss palliation where they just start high doses of steroids (as this is an anti-inflammatory but also has cytotoxic effects against this form of cancer --and perhaps the ideal option for your situation) to keep him comfortable for as long as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian