Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog gets bladder stones. We are very careful as to what

Customer Question
he eats and he eats...
My dog gets bladder stones. We are very careful as to what he eats and he eats Royal Canin, Urinary SO. Our Vet prescribed Prozac because he seemed have an obsession with licking things from people to rugs to furniture, etc. Does Prozac conflict with his diet? Can it cause Bladder Stones? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Bob
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Bennie.

Prozac does not conflict with the SO diet. It does not cause bladder stones. Some dogs are prone to forming stones even when they are on the special diets, so it would be a good idea to periodically check his urine for crystals, the building blocks of stones. I usually recommend doing this every 6 months to ensure we catch crystals before a stone forms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If we detected crystals earlier could something be done to prevent them from turning into stones?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think when a dog is diagnosed with bladder stones the Vet should provide documentation so one knows how to treat this ailment?

Yes, when crystals are detected, the best thing is switching to a dissolution diet, such as the SO diet Bennie is currently on. That is a very good diet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bennie had bladder stones 2 years ago and had surgery

Bladder stones are formed for a number of different reasons, so it can be challenging to treat. Not all stones are formed by the same crystals, so often they need to be surgically removed. If we are lucky, they can dissolve with diet changes, but that is not always the safest approach.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The cost was $2000.00. Today we discovered another stone and he needs surgery again. We were never told not to give him tap water either.

I'm sorry Bennie needs a second surgery! It sounds like he may be one of those dogs that tends to form stones despite treatments and prevention. Tap water is generally ok, I have not recommended a change in water source with my patients.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apparently there is no way to avoid him getting bladder stones even with the SO diet. Do you agree? Dogs lick things and find food on their walks no matter how closely we watch him. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the SO diet?

Eating a bit of different things here and there should not affect his urinary pH to contribute to stone formation. Stone formation takes time, so it can be a long process over months. I would consider trying a different prescription diet if your vet finds that this new stone is composed of struvites. If it is a mixed composite stone, those are much more tricky, and presription diet may not be helpful. The hard question to answer is how many stones would Bennie have had without the SO diet...so it may be helping to some degree. Although, I understand how frustating this must be for you. :(

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. You've been very informative. I appreciate your advice.Have a nice day.

You're welcome. Good luck with Bennie. Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Katie Volat
Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian