Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My golden retriever has a "hot spot" on her rear leg and I

Customer Question

Hi - my golden retriever has a "hot spot" on her rear leg and I am looking for ways to treat it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: on her leg - not foot and yes I did
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Belle and she is 8 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Belle?
Customer: nothing special except she is prone to allergies and yeast infections in her ears
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Those annoying summer time hot spots! My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

First of all, if you are not using flea and tick control, please start; these are a common cause of hot spots.

Hot spots usually respond to cleaning, antibiotics, and steroids. If you can clip the hair away from the spot, that is helpful. Clean gently with gentle soap and water and then dry the area. Apply topical antibiotics like Neosporin, as well as topical steroid cream like Cortaid or Cortizone 10. Treat a couple of times a day.

If it is a large or deep hotspot, then oral antibiotics and steroids might be needed. That would mean a vet visit.

If she has underlying allergies, antihistamines like Benedryl or Claritin may help.

Let me know if you have more questions I can answer. If this was helpful, kindly consider rating my answer!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you could see what I wrote; I have not heard back from you! Let me know how Belle is doing and if I can answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?