Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 7 year old dog keeps throwing up all her meals. She

Customer Question

my 7 year old dog keeps throwing up all her meals. She doesnt eat much besides her regular dog food and from time to time some meat from us. Does this sound serious?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Well we were in the country and she went swimming in some unclean water, besides that she ate some potatoes.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lady
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?
Customer: No that is pretty much it, do you think the water caused this?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did she eat cooked or raw potatoes?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Breed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 days
cooked potatoes and the water she went in was a pond
none
20lbs
Japanese spitz
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Does she have diarrhea?

2- Does she vomit without food in it?

3- Is she lethargic?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No to all of those….
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does seem to have trouble catching her breath lately…
Are they connected you think?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Can a dog get sick from drinking unclean water? Yes. But, typically we also see other symptoms like diarrhea, true vomiting, etc. In this case we need to consider other possible causes like: Esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body or even part of a systemic disease. I am not 100% convinced this is related to the unclean water. If she is having trouble catching her breath yes, this further supports the above mentioned diseases. Unfortunately on history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. At this stage, I would highly recommend you consider having her checked by your family veterinarian for xrays and blood work as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Note: Raise her eating bowl on to a small stool to force her to raise her head when she eats.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter