Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate Fresh Step crystals cat litter will she be okay? The dog seems fine but I don't know what is going...

Customer Question
My dog just ate Fresh...
My dog just ate Fresh Step crystals cat litter will she be okay?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: The dog seems fine but I don't know what is going to happen because she ate the Fresh Step crystals
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is 12 years old she is an 11 pound Dachshund
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jedi?
Customer: She may have a problem with frequent urination due to some kidney stuff I just took her to the vet and we are changing her diet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She likely may have eaten the cat's feces with the crystals covering it. She likely did this around 4 o'clock p.m. and it is now 10:42 our time. She just had a bowel movement and I see no evidence of any crystals or other cat litter in the dogs movement.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If it was just a few crystals then the chances are that things will be OK, and it is very encouraging that no adverse symptoms have occurred in the last six hour period.

2. In any case it now too late to induce vomiting to recover the cat litter as this should be done in the first hour after ingestion, so all you can do for now is just to keep an eye on Jedi and contact an ER vet if any adverse symptoms occur, look out for things like vomiting, lethargy, inappetance, straining and signs of abdominal pain.

3. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that Jedi's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Jedi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cat litter ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian