Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Shepard's paws lose their "de" after a run. The peel is…

Customer Question
My Shepard's paws lose...

My Shepard's paws lose their "hide" after a run. The peel is very think and down to raw skin. How do we prevent this and how do we doctor it? He can hardly walk.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Just his pads on the front paws He chewed the flaps of the skin off and it is just raw

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Sarge and he is 4. Weighs 120 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sarge?

No he is healthy very playful. All shots are up to date

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I will help you.

Can you tell me if this is just a recent problem or has this been going on for a while.

Also is the terrain really rough?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has happened once before about 2 months ago. He is running on grass dirt and some concret

For now, clean his pads with hydrogen peroxide and dry then. Put socks on his feet and pray he keeps them on.

You can get a product called silver sulfa diazine on line at PetMeds.

Apply it thick on pads and keep them covered with socks. This is used on burns and will speed up healing.

Apply it every 12 hours for two days. Then once daily until pads have healed. Keep feet covered with socks until healed.

Once you have normal pads again build them up by starting him on grass. Avoid concrete and rough terrain until the pads have thickened.

And even then check his feet often so you can stop before the pads get sore.

Is there any chance that you ran him on concrete when it was sunny and hot? He can get burns on his feet from that.

For the socks, don't use your stretched out giant socks. Try to find some socks that fit but aren't too tight. Kid socks are good if they are the right size. The main reasons for the socks are to keep medication on the pads and to protect them.

I hope that this is helpful. If you have any questions, keep them coming.

And please rate this service.

One last thing. You do need a prescription from your vet to get the silver sulfa diazine 1%

Since I can only give suggestions, my state licensing board does not allow me to write one for you.

It's been over 1 ½ hours since I heard from you.

I'm signing off now.

I hope that the information I gave you will solve your dog's pad problems.

Please don't forget to rate this service.

Thank you,

Dr Marta

I hope that you have had time to read my responses. Sometimes it takes time to research the best response.

But I provide the best answers I can give you.

It is very important to me to get some feedback from you.

Please take a minute to let me know if the information I provided is useful to you and Sarge.