Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a boxer who has small red sores close to her inner

Customer Question

I have a boxer who has small red sores close to her inner ear. Her ear is warm and itching, what do you think is wrong? Is there any way to fix it without going to a vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your Boxer has an ear problem. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If she is normal, no vomiting and diarrhea, and is eating normally, and her gums look pink and not pale, you could try to treat this at home. This could be an allergic reaction. You could try putting a cortisone ointment on the sores and on her ear.

Benadryl may help with the itching. If she weighs around 50 pounds, she could take 50 mg Benedryl (not Benedryl cold/cough medicine, just plain Benedryl/diphenhydramine) 2 to 3 times daily.

If the ointment and the Benedryl do not help or if her symptoms get worse, she may need to see a veterinarian. I hope this helps; please let me know if you have more questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Please let me know if this was helpful, and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?