Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My rescue standard dachshund, Wally, is almost six. He has

Customer Question
My rescue standard dachshund, Wally...
My rescue standard dachshund, Wally, is almost six. He has been with me for exactly 5 years and when he came to me he was not socialized and terribly thin. As a result he is very food-motivated. Currently on Hills Metabolic diet and losing nicely, gaining energy and lives for the daily trips to the of-lash park with his "'brother". He is bouncy, cheerful and has never been ill. His shots are up to date. He goes in and out through the doggy-door at will and my yard is fenced like a fortress. We did not go to the park yesterday because the weather has been very wet and stormy and there was a ligntning warning.
Last night, around 1.30 am, I went to bed and Wally did not follow me. As a rule he flies up the stairs with his brother and goes under the bed while I fetch their night-time treats. Last night he was not under the bed and when I came downstairs to look for him he was on the 4th stair, lying on his stomach. He can be a drama queen, so I said "Let' go bed" and he heaved himself up an went upstairs diagonally and very slowly. He went under the bed but refused his treat. I went to sleep at 4 am but he had not come out. Sometime in the night he climbed the dogsteps and crawled into his usual place beside me. This morning he came downstairs, slowly, refused breakfast, and is lying on his stomach under the table, obviously very uncomfortable. No bowel movement but he has peed on the carpet upstairs. He is not reacting to his usual joy-trigger "Let's go car/park/walkies" etc., refused his breakfast and water, and a small amount of milk with a 1/4 tsp. of coconut oil which I hoped might produce a bowel movement.
It is Sunday and I am not getting an answer even from the emergency vet clinic. My neighbors are not home so I can't ask whether the kids who were at their barbecue yesterday might have thrown food over the fence (I'm afraid of chicken bones). I know they were interested in the dogs because Wally and his brother, Paddy, were snuffling at them through the fence.
Wally has just moved from under the table to under my chair, and the top of his head is very hot. He is still on his stomach, but supporting himself with his front paws. H sem a bit shaky.
Any ideas?
I went out on the deck a few minutes ago and found three paper plates at the foot of the steps. No sign of food on them, but I assume they had been out in the rain all night.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

It definitely sounds like he is in pain. Probable the first thing that I think of when a dachshund is painful, particularly when that pain is hard to localize, is their back. There are a number of things in your description that really make me worry about his back... first, that he is a dachshund, second, that he is overweight. These are both risk factors for back problems. What happens in these guys is that a disk will buldge or even rupture and cause pain an put pressure on the nerves. Sometimes they have weakness... particularly in their back legs.... and they can have trouble with things like stairs. I obviously can't be sure without an exam and likely some tests, but this is my first thought based on what you are describing. They can definitely have discomfort for other reasons... including constipation or pancreatitis.

If he has a bulding disk he is at risk of having it compress his nerves and lead to paralysis (in the worst cases). I would recommend taking him to a veterinarian for evaluation and to get him some pain medication as soon as you can. If you can't take him to a veterinarian right away, the most important thing to do is to keep him confined. The less he moves the better and definitely no stairs! I would monitor several things... check the color of his gums. If he is pale, if he starts vomiting, if he becomes weak in his rear legs, if his abdomen is distended, or if he just becomes more painful and lethargic then this could be serious and I would really try to find somewhere to take him.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions, let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Dr. Stacey. The first thing that occurred to me was his back. There is no bulge and no twitching as there would likely be if that were the pain source. That is why I am concerned about a stomach problem since finding the paper plates. I will take him to Dr. Khaira, our regular vet, tomorrow. I am nearly 80 and very small so it is hard to pick him up (he weighs 30lbs. now, about right at the top end for a standard dachs), so getting him in the car is not an option. However, I do have the pup-mobile which my oldest dachs used for five years - he died last August two weeks shy of his 15th birthday. He had Cushings for six years but was in good health (with 7 meds) until his heart gave out. Dr. Khaira is only about 2 miles away so I can walk Wally up there with the pupmobile. Dr. Khaira gave Buster regular laser treatments for his back up to the timeof his death,and it helped immensely. Many thanks. Billie

Just keep him confined and try to get him to drink something (like chicken broth) even if he won't eat until your regular vet can see him. Best wishes!

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian