Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Goose egg on the back of her head, coco - lab mix - 3 1/2

Customer Question
goose egg on the back...
goose egg on the back of her head
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: coco - lab mix - 3 1/2 yo
JA: How old is Coco?
Customer: 3 1/2 y.o.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: we saw it last night when we got home from a party. We have 3 dogs and they tend to play aggressively. My guess is she knocked her head on the concrete while they were playing. But this has never happened before. It is at the crown of her head and is quite elevated, about the size of an egg. She is eating, drinking, has tons of energy still. The egg is hard in the center where the top of her head bone is but soft to the touch around and feels like there is fluid.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Coco today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Is the lump getting bigger or smaller than when you first noted it?

Can you look at her pupils and see if they are equal in size and respond the same to light by constricting?

Does it seem painful to her when you touch it?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The bump is the same size - no bigger than yesterday. Her pupils are equal in size and respond the same to light. And she lets us touch it and doesn't flinch.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

With the history of an acute presentation and the fact that the dogs play rough. I would be most suspicious of a seroma or a hematoma. Basically, they are both fluid filled lumps due to trauma, but a seroma is filled with serum (like a blister) and a hematoma is filled with blood (like a blood blister). If that is what it is, neither is life threatening and should resolve over a day or two. The only other possibility that would arise so quickly would be an abscess (filled with pus), but that is usually a litter more painful when touched.

If it persists, even if it is not bothering her, I would have your vet evaluate it. In the meantime, it may help to shrink it down quicker if you apply an ice pack to it twice a day for about 10-15 minutes.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I will see how it is throughout the day and tomorrow-- and will bring her in to the vet if I don't see improvement.

You are welcome. Sounds like a good plan.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian