Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

He ate 5mg of oxycodon My dog, Dexter 12lbs,

Customer Question

He ate 5mg of oxycodon My dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Dexter 12lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Dexter but, fortunately, dogs tend to tolerate opioids of this sort fairly well. At this dose you might see sedation or balance issues but not much more than this.

If Dexter ingested the Oxycodone < 1 hour ago, you could induce vomiting if you have fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizz); The dose would be 1 teaspoon mixed with bread, walk him around and repeat the dosage in 15 minutes. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

If more time has elapsed, most of the drug is probably already absorbed. If that's the case, then monitor for about 4 hrs to see how sedate he becomes; if this behavior does develop, then keep him confined and away from obstacles to avoid accidental injury.

More than likely, he'll be fine such that an ER visit is not required.

I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb