Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 year old pug has fixed and dilated pupils. I had him to my vet but she wants him to see an opthymologist...

Customer Question
My 8 year old pug...
My 8 year old pug has fixed and dilated pupils. I had him to my vet but she wants him to see an opthymologist at a veterinary school. He can see but he runs into things. I have an appointment with another vet. I don't want to put him through a lot of anxiety with a vet school. What do you think.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I just did.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He does not hurt. Is this a person?
JA: OK. No obvious pain. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: He has a good appetite an seems happy. Just can't see well
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: No, except he did have a really bad reaction to his vaccines and that's when all this started.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is*****'m sorry to hear about Max's situation with his vision. I know you don't want to put him through a lot of anxiety with the trip to the ophthalmologist at the veterinary school, but in all reality this is the step that needs to be taken to get a proper diagnosis and to then present possible treatment options. Veterinary schools are pretty low key places to have an appointment at. They typically aren't as busy / crowded as private practices. You get to have very eager and excited 4th year veterinary students giving you and Max all the attention and care that can be given. You get to see an ophthalmologist that spends each and every day looking at eyes and figuring out what is going on with them. Could this vision be compromised by something that can be treated? Is it something that is more serious / permanent / progressive? These are the considerations. I would push to have him checked over.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this normally a response to an allergic reaction to vaccines?

I would say that this type of situation for the eyes wouldn't necessarily be a response to a vaccine. Could there be some uveitis or inflammation of the optic nerve that is a part of this? SARDS (sudden acquired retinal degeneration) is something that still is being studied and its specific cause isn't pinpointed and in reality it probably is multifactorial. Could the vaccine play a part of it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I don't prefer a call. This is not working for me. Thanks anyway

I'm sorry about the "call" thing. That is an automatic part of the system that I can't control. Please let me know what questions I can continue to address by these means.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its ok. I have an appointment with his old vet on Monday and an appointment at UT Vet School on Wednesday. This was a whim to find out a little more about what may have gone wrong so quickly. He just had vaccines and physical one week before this happened complete with blood work and everything. Weird.

If the vaccines were one week prior to this happening, it would seem less likely to be a part of the issue. But, it can't totally be ruled out. Vaccines and their possible side effects are constantly being scrutinized. It will be very interesting to see what everyone sees. Being able to look at the back of the eye (the retina) should give a lot of information here.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian