Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She is on a antibiotic for an urinary trac infection. We are

Customer Question

She is on a antibiotic for an urinary trac infection. We are leaving Monday for a 3 week motor home trip to Wy. I was wondering if I could also give her cranberry juice to help with the problem while we are away. She is going with us.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Abby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The most I can tell you is that cranberry products won't be harmful for Abby but we don't have any scholarly evidence that they would be helpful in such a patient. Cranberry was found to detach certain strains of E.coli from the urinary tract of people. Whether this translates to dogs is unknown and we don't know if Abby suffers from such a bacterial infection in any event. Keep her on her antibiotic for the full prescribed time - usually 10-14 days. Ideally, her urine should be checked by complete urinalysis or bacterial culture and sensitivity two days after the course of antibiotic is completed in order to confirm that her urinary tract has been sterilized. If that can't be done, please do so upon your return home. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.