Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog was diagnosed with a pinched nerve or bulging disc in

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with a pinched nerve or bulging disc in his back a couple of days ago. He's been taking 25mg of Tramadol every 12 hours and 12.5mg of Deramaxx every 24 hours. He was doing much better until he went outside to poop today and tweaked something. Now he won't put his back left leg down and is obviously in a lot of pain. He had both meds at 10:00 this morning. What can we do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

There's no benefit to giving Deramaxx more than once daily but you can up the dose for tramadol to the new guidelines for tramadol which are 2-5 mg/lb every 8 hours if need be. I don't know which time zone you're in but see if you can wait on the next tramadol dose for 8 hours after the dose given at 10AM your time. Do your best to keep him as quiet as possible lest he hurt himself further.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.