Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What to do if dog ate a little out?

Customer Question
What to do if dog...
What to do if dog ate a little white out?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did your dog eat this?

How much did he have?

Did he eat any of the bottle?

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you but as this is a time sensitive situation, I will leave my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply.

Now in small volumes, we’d only expect stomach upset, nausea, vomiting and cramps. Therefore, we can start some supportive care just now. To start, we’d want to rinse your dog’s mouth with cool water to remove any residue from this. Afterwards, to counter any stomach upset, we’d want to start him on a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall a small volume can cause stomach upset and cramps, but often no long term harm. So, we’d want to use the above over the next 48 hours to help settle your wee one’s stomach.

Please take care,

Dr .B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian