Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Why would my dog vomit. He has all s shots, has not been in

Customer Question
Why would my dog vomit...
Why would my dog vomit. He has all his shots, has not been in contact with any animals. confined to our back yard. He has been vomiting for 24 hrs. His poop is normal
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Max. How many times has he vomited over the last 24 hours? How often is it happening? When did he last vomit? Is he acting bright and alert?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has vomited many times. Sometimes it's just bile, but he is hungry and if he eats, he throws up partially digested dog food. He has pooped twice. Yesterday AM and this morning. Yes he is bright and alert, sometimes playful

That is good that Max is still bright and alert. When a dog is bringing up material, it is important to distinguish vomiting from regurgitation. Vomiting is a very active act while regurgitation is passive. Vomiting is more bile, digested food while regurgitation is food that has sat in the esophagus for a bit of time. Why could a dog vomit? At his age, ingestion of something that has upset the stomach is a pretty common thing. Eating of something that has caused an obstruction is another common thing. Intestinal parasites can cause intermittent vomiting. Infectious issues like parvo also get brought up. Pancreatitis is another potential cause. As far as his situation, at home, all you can really do there is to pull food and water for 8 hours to try and let the stomach rest. With his vomiting for 24 hours many times, it would be concerning that something more serious is happening. Can you get him to an ER clinic for an evaluation since your vet isn't available?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are taking him in at 8:AM We are fearful of an obstruction of some kind. He chewed up a plastic toy Thursday. He is current on all vaccinations, has not been in contact with any other animals, and has not been outside our backyard. Just wondering if dogs can get the flu like humans

Dogs can have some nonspecific viral issues that can cause vomiting. With his situation, if he chewed up that plastic toy, then that is a big area of focus. They can take some x-rays and see what that reveals. It may or may not give the specific answer. Sometimes with plastic, it may not show on an X-ray and they may want to do a dye series called a barium series to see how things are passing.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian