Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate dead bird and is now stumbling and acting drunk

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Did the bird appear rotten? Or could it have been poisoned?

How long ago did Maddie eat this?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any breathing changes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure she ate it before we can check.About 24 hours no vomiting her gs are pink and no she doesnt
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about the signs you have reports for Maddy.

The reason is because eating wildlife usually causes nausea, belly discomfort, or appetite loss. In cases where the bones cause harm to the gut, we will sometimes see internal bleeding or even bacterial infection within the abdomen. And while its good that she hasn't any signs supporting those problems, her wobbliness makes me concerned about poisons (either that were used on the bird or something laid out with the body to target dogs). As well, though less likely, it is possible to see dogs with liver shunts so odd signs after a high protein diet (like a bird)

So, if she is very wobbly here. we would want to consider having her seen at this stage to ensure there is no toxin risk. At the same time, her vet can make sure we haven't a blockage or any issues relating to the bird. If they are concerned that she is a bit small or looks like she could have a shunt, then her vet can take a blood sample to rule that out.

Any delay in having her seen, we can try some supportive care. To counter any drops in her blood sugar (something that will cause these signs in small breeds though not totally expected if she has eaten this bird), you can try rubbing a sugary syrup (ie karo, glucose, pancake syrup, etc) on her gums. As well, we can try her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and can make sure that blood sugar stays within normal range.

Any nausea and we can try her with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, Maddy's signs are not quite what we would expect to see in a dog that has eaten a bird. So, we need to tread with care. We can use the above to counter those other causes for her signs and reduce any lurking nausea, but otherwise we'd want a check as soon as possible to ensure we don't have anything more sinister causing her signs.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maddy. How is everything going?

nekovet