Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog has yeast in his nail bed of 1 or 2 nails. How do I clear it up? About a week ago, 2 of the nails were...

Customer Question
I think my dog has...
I think my dog has yeast in his nail bed of 1 or 2 nails. How do I clear it up?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: drgdvm, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
drgdvm
drgdvm, Veterinarian

Hi there, would you mind please describing in more detail what you're seeing in Artir's nail beds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About a week ago, 2 of the nails were bleeding and that has stopped and I haven't seen blood since. One seems to be clearly up but the other seems to have black at the base of the nail and red and maybe sores between the nails. Just on the front paws. Not all are effected. He doesn't seem to be in lots of pain. Still eating and playing. Licking paws more then usual and they have now turned a brown color.We recently moved and he is now in a different backyard that has grass. The backyard before had pin straw.
I attached 2 photos

Does your backyard have grass that produce foxtails? The small sore that I am seeing in the photographs looks very suspicious for a foxtail that might have embedded itself in Artir's paw. Foxtails are very sharp, and are known to embed themselves in the paws, noses and ears of many of our companion animals that go outdoors. Poor Artir, I would suggest that you take him to your veterinarian for possible foxtail removal(s). Your veterinarian will need to probe the area, possibly under sedation, then flush it thoroughly, and send home treatments like antibiotics and pain medications. The reason Artir's paws are turning brown is because he is licking them repeatedly, in an attempt to remove the suspected foxtails in the only way he can. Good luck, and I hope Artir's paws get back to normal soon after being treated by your veterinarian.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think there are foxtails in the yard but I will check. If there isn't do you think something else may be embedded and it's not fungal?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian