Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 12 yr old ***** ***** male who grabbed something real fast in the grass 3 days ago.

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 12...
Hi. I have a 12 yr old ***** ***** male who grabbed something real fast in the grass 3 days ago. I thought at first it was a dead frog as I thought a leg was hanging out of his mouth, then in a split second he gobbled whatever it was and it was gone. Actually I don't think it was a frog but something was hanging out of his mouth that looked like a small "umbilical cord". Yuck! The next day he had a normal stool, per my husband, that had dark red streaks on it; obviously blood. He did not eat that night other than few bites of ground steak. Yesterday morning he would not eat so I brought him to his Vet. No vomiting through it all. Did drink water & voiding ok. He seemed ok at vets. After examining him, she did quick rectal to see what stool was there & it was very dark brown. She said it was digested blood. Gave him shot of Pepcid and dose of Metronidazole by mouth. Sent him home on Pepcid 10 mg 2x day and Metronidazole 2x day for 5 days and few cans Purina enterogastro "something" to eat in small feelings. He, luckily, has been eating fine since yesterday. Activity lower than normal but will take walks and will play for a little while. Gums are ok - reddish pink. I'm concerned that he had a extremely dark brown stool ( not diarrhea) almost black, last night night and tonight which I know is digested blood. I worry about him and am wondering if this is ok. I have to call back vet tomorrow am. She said if he's not better she'll draw blood work and do X-rays. What are your thoughts on all this as a second opinion?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-,
 replied 1 year ago
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-

Hi there, Hopefully the symptoms are all being caused by the known dietary indiscretion. Unfortunately, it could be something more sinister. The only way to hopefully rule out other causes would be with the diagnostics that your vet has discussed. Best case scenario is that Cooper simply needs more aggressive supportive care to get him over this. If he is vomioting, inappetance or lethargic, he should be seen tonight on an emergency basis. If he seems to be stable, get him to your regular veterinarian first thing tomorrow morning. Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions!- Dr. C

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you mean by "simply needing more aggresive supportive care to help him get him through this"?
Dog Veterinarian: JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-,
 replied 1 year ago

Either in hospital care with IV fluids and IV meds -or- more outpatient care- to include fluids under the skin -or- additional medications (such as sucralfate to coat the stomach as there is now physical evidence of an upper GI bleed with the black stool, characteristic of digested blood).

JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-