Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has swelling of her him right legs and water at the ankle. I iced it for 15 minutes I don't know what else...

Customer Question
My dog has swelling of...
My dog has swelling of her him right legs and water at the ankle. I iced it for 15 minutes I don't know what else to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes I did no wound. I also checked her toes and between her web nothing
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name BabyGirl and she's 9 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Batgirl?
Customer: She's a rescue dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 year ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I might need a bit more information to be able to get you the best answer:

1) How long have you noticed this swelling (just today; few days, etc)?

2) Is it just one leg or both hind limbs? And does it involved the entire leg or just a part of the leg?

3) Is she otherwise doing great (no vomit, diarrhea, coughing)?

4) Does she have any known medical conditions such as heart disease?

Thanks. This can help me understand what is going on a bit better.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just today swelling occurred she has been for a couple of days favoring her leg. It's the right rear. It looks like the swelling from her hip down. Water on lower part of leg. She has no vomittin no past history of the heart.

Always highly unusual to have this much swelling for such a significant portion of the leg and with pitting edema, which is when you notice serious swelling at the bottom. This is one of those situations that really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Our top concern with this is if there was a bite/sting (snake, spider) or this could be a vasculitis (inflammation of the vessels) which can occur for a variety of different reasons and there are other causes such as acute allergic reaction, low protein disorders overall in body (but would expect to see edema elsewhere), tick-borne diseases (they cause the vasculitis), tumor and the list continues.

At home about all you can do is hydrotherapy which sounds like you did. I am not sure that Benadryl would help but you could certainly try (1 mg per pound every 12 hours) but I recommend have her seen as soon as possible.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Great pictures. Thank you.

Yes that is edematous swelling. I wish I could provide you with an exact diagnosis for the cause, but unfortunately this would require an exam and then possibly some testing to try to narrow down what might be going on.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified