Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog hasn't been eating much and he ate this morning and now has ,black runny stools, His name is Chester and is almost

Customer Question
He hasn't been eating much...
He hasn't been eating much and he ate this morning and now has green,black runny stools
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is almost five
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chester?
Customer: Just that lately he hasn't been eating every day, no matter what we try to feed him
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Chester is having the reduced appetite and changes to his stools. When I hear black stools this indicates an upper gi bleed, potentially from the stomach or proximal small intestine. That would also attribute to the reduced appetite.

I would strongly urge a veterinary exam to determine the cause of the bleeding because if left untreated ulcerations in these areas can progress and perforate the bowel which is life threatening.

Your vet will want to do abdominal x-rays, a fecal evaluation, potentially bloodwork and abdominal ultrasound to hone in on the cause of these changes which can be a bacterial infection, an immune mediated condition (inflammatory bowel disease, IBD), tumor, or a metabolic disease such as addison's disease.

Diagnosis of the underlying problem is key in order to begin appropriate therapy, regain his appetite, and hopefully return his energy and stools to a healthy happy five year old.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. This is not something I would advise treating in a home environment, this does require medical management because if it is left unchecked it can be life threatening.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian