Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Ozzy is 14. He hasn't pooped days and goes out about 4 times

Customer Question

Ozzy is 14. He hasn't pooped for 3 days and goes out about 4 times in the middle of the night. I think to try and poop. Today he throwing up white foam and not eating. He has drank some water. I called vet and can't get in till 5:45 tonight. Is something I can do for him till then. Thank you Kitty. PS: ozzy is a do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so very sorry to hear about Ozzy! I am very glad you have an appointment for him, because he definitely needs to be seen by a vet. It sounds like he could be suffering from severe constipation, which can sometimes result in vomiting and inappetance. Unfortunately, when constipation is this severe, there isn't much you can do at home for him. This is because over the counter medications are not going to be strong enough to treat the constipation (sometimes at the vet's office we need to do an enema, or in some cases even give a sedative in order to manually evacuate the bowels, along with giving IV fluids to help provide fluid support and lubricate the bowels. Then we often prescribe prescription strength laxatives). The other issue is that if your dog is vomiting, then giving oral medications (your only real choice at home) is not an option because they will vomit it back up, thereby causing further dehydration. I would recommend nothing orally for a few hours. If no vomiting occurs, then you can offer small amounts of water at a time until his appointment. If at any point he becomes weakened or his condition declines, I would alert your vet and see if they can see you as an emergency.

Here is an article FYI on constipation: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=634

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay