Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keeps scraching til she bleed. Is it flea or

Customer Question
allergies. She's had fleas I...
my dog keeps scraching til she bleed. Is it flea or allergies. She's had fleas I seem to have it under control
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: iwa
JA: How old is Iowa?
Customer: iwa its a hawaiian name and she's 21
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about And?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Are you seeing any changes to the skin (ie pimples, pustules, scabs, sores, ulcers, redness, dander, or crusting)?

How long ago were the flea situation cleared?

What treatments have you used for Iwa?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Flea shampoo. She has pimples scabs, sore redness. Is there some home remedy I can us. If not I can take her to our local vet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
did i just pay $19.00 for no response?

Hi again,

I am actually typing out a treatment plan for you and will post in full shortly.

Dr. B.

Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type in reply),

Now if you are seeing pimples, then this tells us that we have a bacterial infection (pyoderma). This often is a secondary issue and may be arising because she is licking/scratching the area due to allergies.

Therefore, to start, we do need to start some further home care. First, you need to block her access to this area. Usually we will need to use an e-collar to prevent chewing of the skin and keep the nails short to reduce scratching self trauma. If her main areas of irritation are over the shoulder region, we can cover this area with a tshirt or for lower areas we can use boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a tail hole)

Otherwise, we will want to wash any sores with a dog safe antiseptic like dilute chlorohexidine or salt water. Or since we have pimples and infection afoot, you could use a very good antimicrobial shampoo like Malaseb shampoo (this can be bought at regular strength online at sites like Amazon or you can get the stronger version from your vet). Afterwards,make sure to pat the area dry and you can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) twice daily to counter the infection. And to reduce her irritation, you can alternate this with OTC hydrocortisone cream or spray as well.

Finally, since these situations often have an underlying allergy component, you can also try to reduce the itch with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, it sounds like you are fighting a bacterial pyoderma but underlying issues and her continue self trauma complicating Iwa's situation. Therefore, we’d want to add in the above to help you soothe that itch and get a handle on this for her Though if we do so but find this too severe and advanced, then we’d be at a stage where we’d want her local vet to start a course of antibiotics and steroids to help get her back to normal for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian