Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Ingested a small amount of protopic, Frankie age 2 weight is

Customer Question

ingested a small amount of protopic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Frankie age 2 weight is about 15-16 lbs he has thrown up about 3 or 4 times
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frankie?
Customer: no he is in good health and he is a bichon
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If it was only a small amount of Protopic then things * may * be OK, but in larger amounts this product can cause serious problems to dogs the symptoms of which would include vomiting, lethargy and other alimentary tract related problems. The best thing to do for now is to start your dog on Pepcid to help limit any alimentary tract damage. Here is a link to the use of Pepcid in the dog including dose rates etc. LINK

2. But given the nature of this drug if your dog does not quickly start to recover or if you note any further deterioration then things would be best handled by your local vet.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Protopic incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.