Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a 7 yr. old mix of yorkie and chi. He seems to not

Customer Question

I have a 7 yr. old mix of yorkie and chi. He seems to not feel good. He is keeping his tail down tight. His nose is not dry if that means anything. He doesn't want to eat so far today and wants to be left alone.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Duke.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Are you able to look at the area of his anus and the anal glands for any redness or swelling?
  • Was the bowel movement normal?
  • Any vomiting?
  • Any labored breathing?
  • Are his gums the usual pink color?
  • When you coax him to get up and move, does he show any signs of lameness?
  • Does he have a history of any illnesses, injuries, or take any medications?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His bowels are normal. He had a tick. Trying to find frontline oil to rub between his shoulders.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear his bowel movements are normal. The vast majority of the time when a tick bites a dog, it doesn't cause any problems beyond some mild skin irritation. Sometimes, however, tick bites can transmit diseases. That's why I'm glad you're looking for a good product to help protect him against ticks.

Frontline Plus is an excellent choice for that. It has an excellent safety record and is decently effective against many kinds of ticks. It's also reasonably priced and easy to get, being available at many stores and veterinary offices.

You can order it online here, for example:

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/frontline-plus-for-dogs---orange-for-dogs-up-to-22-lbs

Is there anything else I can help you with today?