Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My Min Pin has a horrible skin problem. Today she's not

Customer Question

My Min Pin has a horrible skin problem. Today she's not wanting to eat or drink.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cocoa 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cocoa?
Customer: No, it just hurts her when touched in those areas. Today she is being very different. Won't come to me nor eat or drink. She quivers a lot. But always has....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Skin conditions can certainly cause systemic effects (or vice versa) but I also have to consider that at 13 years of age there's rarely just one problem in my patient. Whatever the cause, I can't "watchful wait" a dog of Cocoa's age for more than 24 hours lest she become dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced. Don't hesitate to have her attended to by her vet if only to receive supplemental fluids subcutaneously by needle. She doesn't have the reserve seen in much younger dogs.

Have you noticed her drinking more and producing more urine of late? Has she been progressively losing weight? Are there other worrisome symptoms you've noticed leading up to today? Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No symptoms other than her skin being hard before today. She's being very strange as in not wanting to be bothered

Has the cause of Cocoa's hard skin been determined?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?