Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have one year old female boxer mix that been spayed. She

Customer Question
I have one year old...
I have one year old female boxer mix that been spayed. She started scratching her ears and I took her to the doctor where he said she had yeast infection. He gave me ear drops and a ear wash. I have not seen much improvement and its been two weeks. She is scratching so hard she cut the outside of one ear. The scabs on the inside seem to clear up but they feel warm and have no odor. What is scarring me when I approach her with the ear drops her back foot start shaking violently. Is this just fear? Someone said that I should try 50 50 solution of vinegar others say change her diet. She does not like water and I don't see how this infection is not clearing up. The other dog is unaffected. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to here about this persistent problem with Miss Katie Rascal. Honestly, the best thing you can do is a recheck with your vet for them to assess why the current course of therapy isn't resolving the issue. Could this be a bacterial infection in the ear now and not just a yeast infection? What can be done is a swab of the ear to look at the material from it under a microscope slide to assess what is there. If they see a certain type of bacteria, they may consider doing a culture of it to see what antibiotics it is susceptible too. Sometimes a course of oral antibiotics is needed in these situations as well as topical therapy. It definitely doesn't sound like she's responding to the therapy and things need to be addressed before she has permanent changes to that ear from inflammation there. Could she have underlying allergies that are making an ear infection more difficult to treat? If this is the case, then they can address that. Could there be some type of foreign body in the ear? This is pretty uncommon, but I've seen a few.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian