Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 11lb Chihuahua is constipated. What is the dose of milk

Customer Question

My 11lb Chihuahua is constipated. What is the dose of milk of mag to treat her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sissy is 3 years old. Her stomach distended and her BM is smaller is much smaller in quantity. It is formed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sissy?
Customer: She has external allergies in spring and weakness in back legs since post partum. All body systems are functional
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she trying to go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The frequency of her BM is normal, 2 times daily. Though it is in much smaller amounts. She is also eating less and her stomach is distended. It is firm but not rock hard... yet.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is important to remember that there are medical conditions that can cause abdominal distention besides constipation. If she is eating less this can explain why she is having less bowel movement, she may not be constipated. I would recommend a hands on examination with family vet to make certain this is not related to something else.

In response to your question, you can give 1 teaspoon (5 mls) of milk of magnesia every 24 hours. However, I would recommend you try something different as the milk of magnesia can cause a decrease in phosphorus. Instead, this is what you can try:

1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 2-3 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to her food.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give regular milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.