Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has large bumps on the front of her paw. Her

Customer Question
dermatologist said it might be...
My dog has large bumps on the front of her paw. Her dermatologist said it might be calcification. Exactly what is that
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lexie age 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lexie?
Customer: Yes. She is an extremely driven dog with fetch. Sorta unnatural. Suffered from ACL injury before. She usually suffers from some sort of injury after a long trip to doggy park. She was usually between 55-60 pounds, now is 67. Looks a bit porky
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

There are different types of calcinosis cutis - the deposition of calcium in its solid form in soft tissue. The bumps you've described are most consistent with a type of calcinosis cutis called dystrophic calcification - deposition of calcium salts in injured, degnerating, or dead tissue. When this occurs in localized areas it's further classified as calcinosis circumscripta which is found in

inflammatory lesions (tuberculosis, foreign body granuloma, demodicosis (mange), and staphylococcal pododermatitis (an inflammation of the foot due to Staph bacteria)

degenerative lesions (follicular cysts)

neoplastic (cancerous) lesions (pilomatrixoma, others)

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian