Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog's poop is liquid and maroon. Does that mean he is

Customer Question

My dog's poop is liquid and maroon. Does that mean he is bleeding internally? Should I take him to an emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How is he otherwise? Still reasonably bright and happy ?

2. Is Chester showing any other symptoms of any sort { No matter how minor } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chester is a basset mix, so he is a low energy dog at the best of times, but he is more than usually lethargic right row. Has not eaten since yesterday (I've withheld food due to 48 hours or so of diarrhea). He's also been vomiting some over the past day or so. But today is the first time I've noticed the maroon color of the poo, and I'm concerned he may be bleeding internally.I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. My question is, should I take him to an emergency vet tonight?

Hello again Ben

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Hopefully Chester just has an uncomplicated gastroenteritis but the colour of the poo is a cause for concern and yes this could possibly indicate internal bleeding, so if you want to play safe the best thing to do is to have him seen by an ER vet as soon as possible.

2. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Chester's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Ben,

I am just checking back in to see how Chester is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his gastroenteritis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Ben,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chester. How is everything going?