Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 14-year-old dog has times when he starts trembling and

Customer Question
panting and will not leave...
my 14-year-old dog has times when he starts trembling and panting and will not leave my son side he won't drink or eat anything. he always has diarrhea sometimes it looks bloodied and he has a large lipoma on his side I was wondering if he is having a seizure or low blood sugar he was at the vet two weeks ago and he said that his heart sounded good and gave him some pills for his diarrhea and I can't get him to take them. He hurt his right hind leg a few months ago. The vet said after x-rays that it was probably ligaments. He also has peed on the fl0or twice lately. Is it just old age? My sopn googled his symptoms and it said hypoglycemia
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rascal
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rascal?
Customer: He usually will not eat anything but treats and growls when we try to pick him up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

His signs do sound like they are neurologic. This could be one of a couple things. Partial seizures is one, and the most likely cause would be a brain tumor (meningioma). We often see strange neurologic signs that are slowly progressing over weeks to months. We can also see behavior changes (growling) and accidents in the house.

The other thing would be canine cognitive dysfunction. This is basically like dementia in people. It's also slowly progressive without a known cause.

The only way to know for sure, is to get an MRI of the head. This is an option, but it does get pretty costly. There is a medication called Anipryl that can help with the signs to slow them down. Bloodwork wouldn't hurt to rule out low blood sugar from something like an insulinoma. I think that is less likely though.

Here is some info on meningiomas in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1995

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian