Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4 pound yorkie snores and snorts and it smells awful. At first I thought it was just her breath but the smell...

Customer Question
My 4 pound yorkie snores...
My 4 pound yorkie snores and snorts and it smells awful. At first I thought it was just her breath but the smell seems to be coming from deeper?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about your pup snoring and snorting, and foul breath odor.

Sniffing and snorting generally indicates nasal irritation/inflammation and post-nasal drip.

I would be most concerned about dental and gum disease and one or more abscessed teeth causing irritation to her nasal cavity and possibly an oronasal fistula (connection between the oral cavity and nose) from an infected tooth which allows food to travel up into the nose and creating localized infection and odor.

Another possibility is a foreign body caught in her nose (piece of plant material or food) accidentally sniffed up into the nasal cavity and decaying.

I highly recommend an examination, and probably anesthesia to take dental radiographs, pull any infected/abscessed teeth, flush her nasal cavity and possibly take samples for culture and biopsy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian