Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

My dog just got into the target bag that I left laying on

Customer Question

My dog just got into the target bag that I left laying on the floor while I was outside opened up a container of Milk Bone vitamins and ate 29 ... I don't know if both dogs ate them or only one of the dogs. Either way one dog weighs approximately 16 pounds the other one about 22 pounds they were the healthy joints daily treats. The local 24 hour vet office said to call Milk-Bone who of course at this time of night is already closed, what should I do or look for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. KV. Please give me a moment as I do a bit of research on these Milk-Bone vitamins.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for the info and photos.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure

I am most concerned with the fat content of these vitamins. Since we do not know which of your dogs ate what, we will have to decide the safest course of action. I would expect to see an upset stomach, possibly vomiting and diarrhea if one of the dogs ate all the vitamins.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How soon would it start....right now they are acting like they do any other nighr, ready for bed.

That is good. I would expect to see vomiting anywhere from immediately to a few hours after ingestion. Diarrhea could start tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I give peroxide to both to induce vomiting?

It is an option, however, peroxide is only helpful to induce vomiting if they ate the vitamins within the last 3 hours. Any later than that, and it may not be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been in the last hour

Another option would be to take them both in to your local ER vet to have vomiting induced, as some dogs do not vomit with peroxide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok if I try peroxide first, how much? One is 16# ***** other 22

I am sorry I legally cannot provide that information in this forum. An option would be to call Animal Poison Control for that information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you say whether anything is toxic

The fat content, although not toxic, is concerning---it could trigger severe stomach upset and pancreatitis. The zinc ingredient could have some affect on red blood cells, so that would be the only other toxicity concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Please feel free to reach out if I can be of further assistance.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV