Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My newly adopted 6nyr old dog ate a piece of candy (Turtle) wrapped in cellophane.

Customer Question
I got most of the...
My newly adopted 6nyr old dog ate a piece of candy (Turtle) wrapped in cellophane. I got most of the chocolate but I'm worried about the pieces of the cellophane
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: It's a smaller dog. Part bishon and Shih tsu.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian

This is Dr. KV. How large was the wrapper for the chocolate? Are you sure that your dog did not eat anything else (was it just one chocolate)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got most of the chocolate. He got the caramel and nuts. He clamped his mouth shut so hard I could not get his mouth open to ger the clear wrapper, but managed to rip the wrapper and get part if it. I got half if it. The original wrapper was square about 2 x 2 inches.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was only the one. I dropped it and he grabbed it. He's fast.

Ok, great. Thank you for the additional information. He may have an upset stomach from the caramel, but the wrapper piece is small enough to pass without difficulty. To be safe, I recommend feeding a bland diet for dogs who have eaten anything rich, fatty, or sugary. Also, keep an eye out for vomiting and diarrhea over the next couple days.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As a former cat lady I need to be more careful. Dogs eat anything so I'm told!

Ha! That is very true! He is lucky that you were able to grab most of the "treat" as he would probably be feeling worse if he ate the whole thing.

Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Please take a moment to provide a postive rating if you were pleased with the info provided, as I am only compensated for positive ratings. Thank you very much.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie Volat
Katie Volat
Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian