Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a Husky that was t in the eye at close range with a

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, I have a...
Hello Pearl, I have a Husky that was hit in the eye at close range with a tennis ball hard. Her pupil is much smaller than the other eye. What should I do. This happen 4 hours ago. A little blood leaked from eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sasha is 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?
Customer: My friend gave me Neomycin and Polymyxin B eye drops, but haven't used it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

A thorough ophthalmic exam is essential for this eye. Prompt administration of antiinflammatory drugs are needed - both an ophthalmic and systemic antiinflammatory drug either in the form of a glucocorticosteroid such as predisolone or dexamethasone or a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam. Sasha's miotic (smaller than normal) pupil indicates a uveitis - inflammation of her iris and its attachments - and this needs to be controlled quickly lest sequelae arise that can affect Sasha's sight. If you have a veterinary ER available to you, please take advantage of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would this be helpful for Sasha, Bausch n Lomb Neomycin and Polymyxin B

No, it contains antibiotics only. Sasha needs a potent antinflammatory drug. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was a little blood that leaked from inside corner of eye. What caused that and is there a concern

The traumatized tissue inflamed enough to bleed. The source may have been the conjunctiva or perhaps the lacrimal system - tear ducts, lacrimal sac, e.g.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please do so for a follow up. Thanks

My best to Sasha!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian