Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Took in a abandoned 2year old pit short and overweight but

Customer Question
Took in a abandoned 2year...
Took in a abandoned 2year old pit bull short and overweight but after a walk around the block dog breathing extremely heavy and excessively drooling with tongue out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Ok she is also spotting blood
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Haven't named her yet received her yesterday from a friend who abandoned her left to take care of self Ina back yard for 1year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: That's all I know about the dog so far
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

My primary concern is that your friend didn't provide this dog with a heartworm preventative and her profound exercise inolerance indicates heartworm disease. Exercise intolerance has many possible etiologies, however, and so please have a complete physical exam performed on your new dog including heartworm and fecal ova and parasite testing. Her spotting ordinarily indicates proestrus - the stage prior to estrus when she would stand for the male.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian