Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My dog swallow a thin steak bone about 4 inches, should we

Customer Question

My dog swallow a thin steak bone about 4 inches long, should we try and make him throw it back up?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luke - he's a 9 month old lab
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luke?
Customer: Nope, pretty normal dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK

Unfortunately, it is not a good idea to induce vomiting with sharp objects like bones- it can cause trauma to the esophagus or even get stuck in the esophagus. However, the bone will not digest, and could cause damage as it tries to exit the stomach and intestinal tract. There are 2 options here- 1. Take him to an ER that has an endoscope camera- they can try to retrieve the bone under sedation from his stomach, after taking an x-ray- if they think it is too large to pass. This would be the best option. OR 2. Feed him a meal of his kibble with 4-5 slices of white bread and a little water mixed in- this may help "pad" the edges of the bone, allowing it to pass more easily. There is a chance it will not pass, and he may end up needing surgery to remove it. If you choose this option- you will need to keep a close eye on him- watch for vomiting, poor appetite, signs of discomfort.

Has this helped? If you have no other questions at this time please provide a rating.

How did everything turn out for you and Luke? Please don't forget to provide a rating for me.

Please provide a rating!

Please provide a rating for me so I can receive credit for helping you out, thank you!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!