Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a little chwawa - he was attacked by two bigger dogs.

Customer Question

I have a little chwawa - he was attacked by two bigger dogs. He has open wounds on his legs and seems like his ribs are pushed in on right side. He walking but seems very tired.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chaco - he is about 3 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coach?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that you are experiencing this. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I am very concerned with what you are describing, big dogs on little dog attacks can be pretty severe. I would be concerned not only with the open wounds, but also that there is internal damage done to the organs. It sounds like what you are describing he may have some broken ribs, that could cause him to have some lung contusions. these things tend to get worse before they get better if that is the case. I think from what you are describing it sounds like he needs to go to the emergency clinic asap, not only to have the wounds evaluated but to address the ribs, maybe some xrays to make sure internal organs are ok, as well as definitely some pain meds and antibiotics. Are you able to take him to the e clinic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now right now - what can we do for him right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not right now - what can we do for him now?

Well, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot you can do at home for this type of situation. there really isn't any OTC pain meds you can give that are going to help with this type of pain. Depending on how bad the wounds are they might need more then just a cleaning (debridement, flushing, sutures, etc.) the lethargy is also concerning because he could be in shock. if you do not know if they are vaccinated/up to date on rabies, I also suggest getting him a rabies shot asap.

i would strongly encourage you to take him to the er. this I think is out of the realm of treating at home. I would try to take him in as soon as you can. in the meantime, get a nice soft place for him to lay so that it isn't painful for him when he lays down.

what other questions do you have for me?